Thursday 29 June 2017

Fear of an empty white house


I'm interested in phobias and in the past have made a series of artworks about some of the more common ones: clowns, spiders, leaving the house, driving and cats. "Vacansopapuroso phobia" is fear of blank paper, maybe writer's block, a form of which also affects artists faced with a blank white canvas. My starting point for my #houseparadox piece is a 12th scale factory produced slot together mdf doll's house  - "Willow Cottage" - which was given to me by another artist as it had been  started badly by someone and was unwanted. After knocking it apart and re gluing it accurately, plus a good scrubbing with detergent in between to get rid of the kid's multicoloured pva paint sloshed over it, I whited inside and out with acrylic undercoat primer. It's beautiful and kind of pure and blank, yet imperfect, still with slight tints of mdf and textures, showing amazing shadows in the sun and reflected colour from somewhere. I almost can't begin, I almost have that phobia but I need to begin the exciting journey and take the risks

3 comments:

  1. An interesting take on writers' block, an artists' block, with fear of white walls, and not just canvas or paper. The house image is intriguing with the girl peering through the crack in the door. What does she see? I'll look forward to seeing what you'll do with this artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone feel as an artists they have a fear of, yet a strong desire for, the "white wall" - a theoretical or actual gallery space where your work (always a reflection of your innermost issues) becomes accessible to all? Could the physical exhibition gallery become obsolete as artists increasingly put themselves and their work "out there".

    ReplyDelete
  3. In making my artworks I often appropriate methods from the crafts based world of miniaturists, although I often end up modifying the methods to get the effect I am looking for. I like taking a risk and enjoying adapting when it doesn't quite work out. So today I decided to begin to cut about 1,000 individual roof tiles from thin ply, using a Stanley knife and metal rule and also a framing saw. This is going to be a lengthy task in itself. Then sticking them on, overlapping and staggering the tiles correctly (plus fiddling around the dormers) will certainly test my doggedness. I am still wondering why I chose to do this. Either I secretly like difficult jobs or have a desire somewhere to try and do things "properly" for the experience. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete